It’s today, my friends. Our one-year anniversary of living and exploring on the road. 365 days ago we pulled out of the driveway of our house and took off for a year of adventure. I remember how terrified I was – literally shaking with anxiety as we pulled our shiny, tiny home with all our belongings onto northbound I-5. Were we making the right choice? Did we forget anything? Were my kids going to be safe? I wanted to cry, I wanted to sing with joy, I wanted to scream with excitement, I wanted to turn around, I wanted to never look back. . . SO MUCH emotion. I was a total mess.
But I took deep breaths. And so did my (much calmer) husband. And we drove, one mile at a time, and we were brave. . .and we made it to Lake Wenatchee State Park for our first night on the road. In hindsight we picked a tricky first spot – towing through the curves and mountains – but we did it.
And here we are now a year later – 24,000 more miles on the truck – many of those towing and we’ve been so BLESSED that it seems like words can’t sum up what this year has meant to us. We have seen so many incredible things, experienced so many things and went through a family bonding experience that seemed to only get stronger with every mile we drove. (See our map of destinations here)
I find it rather appropriate that we pulled back into Olympia last night. We will spend the next few weeks here, visiting family and taking care of appointments and other things that need our attention. We even have a short kid-free vacation planned to Las Vegas. Olympia will be a good place to hit the RESET button and try to figure out what the next chapter of our lives looks like.
At the first of the year, I shared with you our “Year in a Review” – including all the things we did before we hit the road and in the first 200 days on the road. But today I want to share all the amazing things we’ve done since we pulled out of that driveway a year ago. This is one HELL of a year if you ask me.
Since we’ve hit the road ::
- Towing our trailer over Snoqualmie Pass
- Visiting Leavenworth, Washington for the first time
- Touring Grand Coulee Dam in Washington
- Visiting family in Clarkston, Idaho
- Spending the day at Silverwood Theme Park in northern Idaho
- Visiting and spending quality time with family over the 4th of July in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- Meeting up with family in Glacier National Park, Montana
- Touring the Lewis and Clark Caverns in Montana
- Seeing Mount Rushmore in South Dakota
- Dodging hail storms in South Dakota
- Celebrating Liam’s 8th birthday in South Dakota
- Celebrating Hadley’s 5th birthday in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Getting a new water tank installed in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Spending time with family in Northern Minnesota
- Visiting Heather’s grandfather’s grave in Northern Minnesota
- Seeing the church where Heather’s grandparents were married in Nebish, Minnesota